Started to Slip But Stopped the Bleeding / 5 Hard Miles / I Did What?!?!?

Weight: 240.2 / # of Days till UCP 5K: 2 / # of Days till Mud Run: 82 /# of Days till Rock and Roll Half: 145

I know it’s been a while since the last post, I have been preparing for, conducting, and then recovering from my daughter’s first birthday party last week / weekend. Not insanely hard work, but a lot of it. On top of actual work and everything else, I would just completely lose hours in the day. I’d look up at the clock and just be like “how the hell is it 11:00 pm already? I feel like I just got home”…and repeat that for all the days last week. That was my week. As a result, my weight started to slip a little because I would find myself just mindlessly picking at stuff. (not to mention my house was literally chock full of food, good food, bad food, all kinds) and it was so easy to just grab a bite of something and keep moving I know I ate a good amount that never got logged, either because a forgot/ didn’t take notice of how much I ate, or just forgot I ate it altogether. Not surprisingly, the free fall ensued.

Happy to report that the weight is back under control now. I am back on this hardcore. I got on the scale Saturday night, just to “stop the bleeding” and snap my ass back into reality. I found to my dismay that I had jumped from 239 up to 242. Not a huge jump, but the concept of re-losing weight that I have already lost once just rubs me the wrong way. I am happy to report that after being completely hardcore on Sunday and Monday (and I’m sure running 3 miles on Sunday night and 5 last night didn’t hurt things any) I’m back down to 240.2. Almost back to where I left off. Back on track and super motivated to finish this off and hit my goal.

As for the workouts, With the hectic planning last week the runs kind of went to the wayside. I missed it, I actually missed the hell out of it. And then when I was talking to a buddy at Tessa’s party who is just getting into the meat and potatoes of the Couch to 5K program now and is completely rocking it (keep kicking ass Lou, you are doing awesome) I was even more motivated to get back in the gym and keep moving my ass. So Sunday night after we got Tess down, (even though I was exhausted) I got myself suited up and hit the gym. I was so glad that I did, because even though it was a slower 5K that I ran, it got me moving again and I really do feel great once I’m done. Really frickin tired, but great nonetheless. And then comes last night. Both Jenn and I took off of work to spend the day with Tess and celebrate her birthday as a family since we knew the weekend would be hectic, and it was a great day. Just hung at home and played all day long. (it was awesome, I REALLY need to spend more days like that) but anyway, Tess went to sleep late last night, and then we had to clean up the chaos from the day. My point is here, I didn’t get to even leave for the gym until about 9:30 pm, and then ran out this past weekend’s “long run” of 5 miles. I got through it, but damn it was a hard run. I was just having a tough go of it. That being said, tough or not, I ran for 5 freaking miles last night. Booyaa. Another 5K tonight to catch myself up to where I want to be on my schedule and then a rest day before my next 5K on Thursday. (Speaking of which, my goal for Thursday is to break 30 min. I know it’s aggressive, but I think it can be done. I have been able to do it on the treadmill, and I know the road is harder that the treadmill, but I’m hoping that with all the adrenaline pumping I’ll be able to push and hit it)

So aside from Spending the day with Tess yesterday, I had kind of a big day, for two reasons:

First one being I registered for the Half Marathons. The deed is done, and there is literally no turning back now. I am now officially registered for the Rock and Roll Half Marathon in Philadelphia on September 16, AND the Philadelphia Half Marathon on November 18th. When I clicked the “register now” button I was pretty sure I was going to throw up. Still am, kind of. I know I will be ready, but 13.1 miles is a really long way. Know they will both be emotional for me, because the RNR is my first ever half marathon, and the Philly Half will be providing closure/ a full circle kind of thing for me, being as it is being run literally one year to the day from when I started all this. I know it’s a long way off still, but that will be a pretty great day for me.

So the Second and even bigger reason that yesterday was a really big day for me is because I made a drastic change in the way I look. HUGE. Suffice it to say, I have had facial hair for basically as long as I have been able to grow facial hair. I had a job that didn’t allow it, but I would still go in unshaven and grow it out on the weekends, just in protest. (and even that was over a decade ago)  So yesterday, after easily an hour of debate and discussion with Jenn, I picked up the razor and with Jenn and Tessa watching, shaved off my goatee. This is the first time I have been clean-shaven in the better part of 15 years. I am still really freaking out about it. It started out all those years ago because I thought it looked cool.  When I gained the weight, it kind of became my safety net, because it does go a long way to “thin out” your face. It gives definition where there otherwise would be none. But it’s time. I have dramatically changed my body, and I have no intention of ever going back there, so it was time to make a clean break and dramatically change my face as well. New Andy, right? Jenn said it best yesterday when, as I had the razor to my face and taking the first few strokes, she said “this is what ‘ripping off the band-aid’ looks like”. And she was right. It was a huge risk for me, a source of major anxiety (to say the least- will I still have the double chin? How will I even look without it? Will Tess recognize me, all she has ever known is me with a big fuzzy chin- on a lesser note, I have a lot of friends who have never known me without facial hair, etc …) But I am really glad I did it. Like I said, still completely freaking out, and I feel like I look less like me and more like Andy’s little brother, but I’ll get used to it eventually….I hope.

So yeah, big day yesterday.

Ok, enough of my rambling for today. I hope you all have a great week. I’ll post tomorrow about the run tonight and to introduce the Mud Run team for July, and then again giving a recap of the UCP 5k. that will come most likely on Friday.

Until then, have a good one.


One response to “Started to Slip But Stopped the Bleeding / 5 Hard Miles / I Did What?!?!?

  1. I’ve never known you without facial hair…I must say I LOVE IT!!! That third picture is damn sexy. Big changes. So proud of you. Wish I had the same courage as you!

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in: Logo

You are commenting using your account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s